AmeriCorps Program Member
- - Office of Student Learning
- Clearwater, FL, USA
- Full Time
There are 20 open positions. The positions will be located in Clearwater, FL.
Step Up For Students and AmeriCorps are partnering together to help with academic achievements in local Pinellas County schools. This program will have an emphasis in increase literacy and math levels among students from low income neighborhoods. We are looking for approximately 20 AmeriCorps members to assist in this program.
An AmeriCorps member is an individual who is serving in an approved national service position and is eligible to receive an educational award from the National Service Trust. Members of AmeriCorps Achieve Program who will provide tutoring services along with supplementary wraparound services to increase educational achievement in five south Pinellas County schools. At the end of the first program year, the AmeriCorps members will be responsible for improving academic achievement of 80% of all students who participate in literacy and math tutoring services and to raise awareness of community and education partnerships.
- Full time members will provide reading tutoring/ supplemental instruction to a minimum of 20 targeted students from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
- Members are expected to achieve at least an 80% success rate with their roster of children demonstrated through student improvement in reading and/or math proficiency.
- Members will be required to obtain assessment scores for every child on their roster throughout the year.
- Members will complete weekly time sheets to document service hours and will obtain the proper authorizing signatures for all time logs.
- Members will complete a site report as requested which details upcoming events, new contacts, and student progress and member concerns.
- Members will communicate regularly with teachers and on-site staff to effectively meet the needs of the students and ensure program success.
- Members will be required to attend all scheduled Corps meetings, training sessions, and program related events.
- Members are responsible for planning and implementing community empowerment workshops.
- Members are responsible for recruiting, training, and utilizing volunteers.
- Members must be able to follow written and oral directions.
- Members will be held to personal responsibility guidelines.
- Members are expected to exhibit a professional manner at all times.
- Members should address problems and concerns to the Program Manager in a one-on-one setting.
The member must be a United States citizen, a national or legal permanent resident and at least 18 years of age. The member certifies that s/he is a high school graduate or has received his/her diploma or G.E.D. The member must receive a favorable background check, to include a FDLE / FBI check based on fingerprinting. AmeriCorps Achieve Program is a drug free workplace and all members are subject to random drug testing.
Each and every person is a valuable asset.
Every challenge is an opportunity for improvement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate mutual respect for others.
- Ability to relate to people from diverse backgrounds.
- Creative and able to adapt to various situations.
- Enjoy serving in an educational environment with young children.
- POSITIVE under all circumstances
- Able to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Implementation/execution (time management, multi-tasking, organizing projects and people).
- Time management: complete diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results.
- Able to supervise or manage administrative staff, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; able to follow through.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Work well under pressure, professional demeanor, and strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Judgment and decision making; problem solving.
- Interpersonal skills; negotiating, listening, diplomacy and tact.
- An understanding of poverty culture, inclusive of mores, values, vernacular etc.
- Know the difference between altruistic vs. egocentric service.
- Must demonstrate integrity at all times.
- Ability to meet the family where they are in their life experience.
- Show respect for families by adhering to boundaries and confidentiality.
- Tenacity and a strong ability to deal with apathy.
- An ability to recognize signs of: trauma; mental/emotional problems; alcohol and other substance abuse; sexual and physical abuse.
This position regularly requires the abilities of driving, sitting, fingering or manual dexterity, and grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
This position is an office environment with some exposure to outside fumes, odors, and heat and/or weather conditions. This position also requires frequent travel.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media