Director, External Affairs
- - Policy & Public Affairs
- Clearwater, FL, USA
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k and more.
The Office of External Affairs works with legislators, their staff, state agencies, community leaders, educators and parents to improve the programs and build broad support for their continued expansion. The Director of External Affairs helps to build and sustain a network of supporters, to educate lawmakers, their staff and all stakeholders on the fundamentals of the programs and the outcomes that are being achieved, and to work toward changes in legislation that can improve the programs. The job requires polished professionalism, strong written and verbal communications skills, and extensive knowledge of the legislative process in Florida and public education policy. The position reports to the Senior Director of Policy.
- Work with Senior Director of Policy, VP of Policy and Public Affairs, President, and Chairman to develop an annual legislative agenda.
- Develop and implement a strategy to achieve legislative proposals.
- Oversee contract lobbyists and other external contractors; educate as needed.
- Work with Senior Director of Policy to respond to requests by legislative offices regarding program facts and policy proposals.
- Work with Advocacy and Community Engagement to help scholarship students and families, as well as other grassroots supporters, engage in the legislative process to support SUFS priorities (letter writing, legislative visits, testifying on bills, etc.)
- Develop and implement innovative strategies to effectively communicate with and educate lawmakers and legislative staff in an ongoing basis, including email, social media, blogs, one-on-one meetings, events, trainings, etc.
- Assist with internal and external communications by supplying facts, writing communication collaterals and editing other materials for policy accuracy.
- Maintain organizational presence among local and statewide contacts by participating in coalitions, responding to requests, and speaking at events.
- Develop and maintain a professional network of policy, legislative, and agency contacts in Tallahassee and statewide.
- Track legislation and review policy proposals.
- Schedule and participate in legislative district office and capitol office meetings.
- Attend legislative committee meetings and session in Tallahassee.
- Testify in legislative committees on behalf of SUFS, when appropriate.
The above is not an all-inclusive list of all duties performed by this job title, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent may be required to perform other additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Public Affairs, Political Science, or closely related field and 5-7 years professional related experience. Must be able to work independently and prioritize tasks. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills (including the ability to speak in front of large groups of people), as well as excellent organizational and time management skills. Must be willing to travel extensively and work non-traditional hours. Must have experience in database management, data extraction and reporting. Solid knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to parental choice mission is key. Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) is necessary.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Deep understanding of political and legislative processes
- Ability to speak publicly, including before legislators
- General knowledge of education policy and politics
- Strong organizational and teamwork skills
- Ability to lead meetings, manage time and prioritize tasks
- Ability to effectively communicate cross-culturally
Step Up For Students believes strongly in two key core values, and it is the responsibility of all employees to demonstrate these values in their everyday work in order to maintain a positive and effective organizational culture.
Everyone is an asset.
Every event is an improvement opportunity.
This position frequently requires the abilities of fingering or manual dexterity, grasping and repetitive motions. This position regularly requires the abilities of standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing and seeing.
This position is an office environment with very limited exposure to any outside fumes, odors, heat and/or weather conditions. Also this position may require up to 25% travel throughout the state of Florida.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media