- - Policy & Public Affairs
- St. Petersburg, FL, USA
- Full Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, FSA, and more.
RedefinED is a seven-year-old education blog (www.redefinedonline.org) with a national footprint in the arena of school choice. Its name derives from the recognition that public education is increasingly being shaped and defined not by neighborhood zoning mandates but by parental empowerment and the extent to which education, broadly defined, is tailoring different learning approaches to the needs of different children. The redefinED Editor is in charge of all operations of the blog and related social media, including planning, writing, editing and execution of the daily output. The editor oversees the work of three staff members, including a writer, social media specialist and a part-time daily roundup editor. The job requires seasoned writing, editing, interviewing, research and organizational skills along with a broad knowledge of education issues and social media. The position reports to the Director of Policy and Public Affairs.
- Oversee all parts of the redefinED blog operation, including Twitter and Facebook accounts and periodic email newsletters.
- Stay current with general trends in education reform and the work of other education blogs and education media.
- Maintain and grow the stature of the blog in the national education reform arena and within Florida.
- Assure the blog provides quality daily content on a Monday-through-Friday basis, whether that involves commentary, news, features, roundups or podcasts and whether they are provided by the editor, other Step Up staff members or people outside of the company.
- Assure that Twitter and Facebook accounts are fed with updates on a daily or periodic basis.
- Assure the accuracy and credibility of all content posted across the three platforms.
- Plan and prepare content for the blog for vacations and holidays, with consultation and assistance from the director of policy and public affairs.
- Build and maintain relationships with key education reform and media representatives, in part to build awareness and increase traffic for the blog.
- Work with Step Up writers to shape and improve their writing and encourage their participation in the blog.
- Develop and maintain key working relationships across Step Up for Students.
The above is not an all-inclusive list of all duties performed by this job title, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent may be required to perform other additional duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Location
Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field and at least five years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. We prefer that the editor be located in our administrative headquarters in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Excellent writing, editing and general communication skills.
- Deep understanding of education issues in Florida and nationally.
- An understanding of media, including print, broadcast and new media, and how to build relationships with and continually inform members of the media.
- Analytical mind, able to synthesize ideas and concepts and prepare cogent arguments.
- Technical skills in WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, MS Word, Outlook, Power Point, Excel, Photoshop, Acrobat.
- Must have a passion for the cause of helping low-income schoolchildren and the ability to be a self-starter and find stories to communicate the cause.
Step Up For Students believes strongly in two key core values, and it is the responsibility of all employees to demonstrate these values in their everyday work in order to maintain a positive and effective organizational culture.
Everyone is an asset.
Every event is an improvement opportunity.
This position regularly requires the abilities of sitting, fingering or manual dexterity, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
This position is in an office environment with very limited exposure to any outside fumes, odors, heat and/or weather conditions.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media